It’s been a string of big days this season for Red Sox center fielder Jackie Bradley, but this one has to be the jewel of them all.
On Thursday, Bradley and his wife, Erin, welcomed their first child, a daughter, along with news that he was named American League Player of the Month for May.
“He had a big day,” Manager (and undisputed Master of Understatement) John Farrell said.
Bradley, 26, is the first Red Sox to be named Player of the month since Dustin Pedroia in July 2011, a month after Adrian Gonzalez earned the same honor. Bradley joins a prestigious list of former Red Sox winners since the award was establishing in April 1974:
- David Ortiz (4 times, most recently in May 2010)
- Manny Ramirez (4 times, last in September 2002)
- Jim Rice (4 times, last in September 1980)
- Dwight Evans (twice, last in August 1987)
- Wade Boggs (twice, last in June 1987)
- Fred Lynn (twice, last in August 1979)
- J.D. Drew (June 2008)
- Nomar Garciaparra (May 1999)
- Mo Vaughn (May 1996)
- Nick Esasky (August 1989)
- Mike Greenwell (June 1988)
- Tony Armas (June 1984)
- Luis Tiant (August 1976)
Leave a Reply